Welcome

Hi. I’m Aaron. I design stuff. If you’re here, it means you probably went to check slickpixel.com. First of all, thanks for being interested. Unfortunately, SlickPixel had become stagnant. I felt that I needed to justify my presence on the web by having a site that was dynamic and actually had something to offer. A two year old, stale site wasn’t it.

I have been thinking a lot about what I want SlickPixel to become. I have some really big plans which, when mixed with procrastination and anal retentiveness, mean big timelines. Which brings us both here. The SlickPixel blog site. This site will offer more up to date content, and serve as a nice replacement until the new full SlickPixel site is completed.

I hope you enjoy, and if not, you can always visit my old site here.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th, everybody!

Hey world. Happy Independence Day! It’s that time of year again where we celebrate everything that makes our country great. Some of those things being: grilled food, beer, fireworks, friends, family & BLOCKBUSTER MOVIES!

There have been tons of great movies that have opened on the 4th of July. Airplane, Back to the Future, Terminator 2, Independence Day, Armageddon, Spider-Man 2, War of the Worlds, Superman Returns, and now Transformers.



We just got back from seeing this movie. I totally went for the geek factor. I wanted to see my childhood toys come to life and kick real live arse on the big screen. Amanda went cause she’s a good sport. So how does one make Transformers, a story about alien DNA-based robots that morph into cars and wage ware against other alien DNA-based morphing robots over a giant alien rubik’s cube, not feel entirely ridiculous? The answer is: Don’t take yourself seriously.

I think Edgar Wright (of Hot Fuzz, good movie, check it out) said it best when he said, “I do like an occasion to just switch my brain off and enjoy some mindless carnage.” He calls them popcorn movies. You just go and sit and take in a mediocre film that’s a blast to watch. No multi-layered plots or deep symbolism, just cinematic cheese. And that’s what I expected Transformers to be. But from the get go, it promised to be a little more. There were so many points where the movie practically makes fun of itself, that you’re totally caught off guard and you can’t help but have fun.

Then there are other scenes that are just funny on any level and in any situation. In my personal opinion, Anthony Anderson (who plays a video gaming code hacker that lives with his Grandma) is hard not to laugh at. I think he’s one of those guys that has a unique delivery. Much like Chris Tucker and Dave Chappelle, he can say anything and make it funny.

Anyway, this is way longer than it needs to be. The point is, go see Transformers. Even Amanda, who was incredibly skeptical before the movie, thought it rocked. That’s saying something.

Peace and Happy 4th,
Aaron

No comments: