Welcome

Hi. I’m Aaron. I design stuff. If you’re here, it means you probably went to check slickpixel.com. First of all, thanks for being interested. Unfortunately, SlickPixel had become stagnant. I felt that I needed to justify my presence on the web by having a site that was dynamic and actually had something to offer. A two year old, stale site wasn’t it.

I have been thinking a lot about what I want SlickPixel to become. I have some really big plans which, when mixed with procrastination and anal retentiveness, mean big timelines. Which brings us both here. The SlickPixel blog site. This site will offer more up to date content, and serve as a nice replacement until the new full SlickPixel site is completed.

I hope you enjoy, and if not, you can always visit my old site here.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Daily Distractions

So this has been my first week as a full-time freelance graphic designer. I've been obviously working from home, and while it was an adjustment at first, I feel like I'm settling into it nicely. I feel like I've done some good work and some pretty productive days so far.

However, try as I may to avoid them, distractions pop up throughout the day. And I'm not talking about just the typical site surfing that we all do. Although, Facebook, Google Reader, and one of my new favorite addictions, Where We Do What We Do, have certainly claimed a few of my productivity hours this week.

But I have a whole different set of Daily Distractions that I wanted to blog about, because, basically, it's more fun to talk about what keeps me from working than to talk about actual work. So, here are a few of my Daily Distractions:


Baby Birds



These little guys chirp and wriggle all day long and the momma bird in constantly back and forth with food all day. I think the momma bird built the nest and laid the eggs while we were in L.A./Vegas, assuming it was a nice quiet spot. Then we get back and she realized she didn't have prime real estate after all.

I'm not going to say something like "Aw. Could they be any cuter?" Because honestly, yeah, they could be a lot cuter. But they'll get there. And they'll only get more distracting the cuter they get.

While this may be a weird daily distraction, just check out the nest's proximity to my work station:



Every now and then, I'll see some movement in my peripheral and look up to see a little baby bird head peering at me over the nest's edge. Well, it'd be peering if it's eyes were open.



Daisy Dog



Daisy has two modes: Sleep and Play. And now that I'm home with her all the time, she's seems to always be in Sleep Mode when i want to take a break and Play Mode when I need to be productive. She couldn't even be bothered to get off the sofa to pose for this picture. What a diva.



Ice Cream!



My last week at J H I was filled with frosty treats, from Boba (Bubble) Slushi, to Rocket Pops, to Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches. Turns out a daily hankerin' for chilled sweets is harder to kick than an iron soccer ball (What? You heard me.) We have leftover ice cream from Dad Bash 08, but it's in a deep freezer at our in-law neighbor's house. Which was clever on Amanda's part, because it'd be milkshakes and chocolate cones all day if it was in our house.

So my need for ice cream and the laziness preventing me from wanting to leave the house even out to about a bowl a day.



The Epiphone



I listen to music all day long and occasionally I'll hear a song that I think would be fun to play. So now I can just stop what I'm doing, search the internet for tabs and strum away. Most of the time I play the opening riff and get bored and I'm still absolutely atrocious at playing the guitar, but being bad has never been so much fun.



So that's what's keeping me from being more productive these days. I hope this has been mildly interesting enough to serve as a daily distraction for you. For now though, it's back to work for me.

Later.

2 comments:

Amanda G. said...

Is THIS what you are doing all day? You told me you were working!

Just kidding :)

I'm glad you are enjoying your first week.

Lindsay Eyth | eythink.com said...

You should title this entry, "Between Naps..."